SUSMAT-RC - Professor in Green Chemistry and Biotechnology
5 days left
- Full Time
About Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P)
Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P) is an internationally oriented institution of higher learning, that is committed to an educational system based on the highest standards of teaching and research in fields related to the sustainable economic development of Morocco and Africa. UM6P is an institution oriented towards applied research and innovation. On a specific focus on Africa, UM6P aims to position these fields as the forefront and become a university of international standing.
More than just a traditional academic institution, UM6P is a platform for experimentation and a pool of opportunities, for students, professors and staff. It offers a high-quality living and study environment thanks to its state-of-the-art infrastructure. With an innovative approach, UM6P places research and innovation at the heart of its educational project as a driving force of a business model.
In its research approach, the UM6P promotes transdisciplinary, entrepreneurship spirit and collaboration with external institutions for developing up to date science and at continent level in order to address real challenges.
All our programs run as start-ups and can be self-organized when they reach a critical mass. Thus, academic liberty is promoted as far as funding is developed by research teams.
The research programs are integrated from long-term research to short-term applications in linkage with incubation and start-up ecosystems.
About the Sustainable Materials Research Center (SusMat - RC)
The Sustainable Materials Research Center (SusMat - RC) is a multidisciplinary research center engaged in the development of advanced biobased products and materials thereof using biotechnological, physical and chemical conversion strategies and engineering processes (b) understanding and controlling their underlying specific functionalities and the structure-properties relationship acting over multiple length scales from the molecular, nano to the macro level and their cross-interactions and (c) utilizing the gathered knowledge and the invented materials to address key technological challenges in Morocco and African continent and assist the transition toward a green and circular economy.
The Sustainable Materials Research Center (SUSMAT-RC) at UM6P invites applications for a faculty position in Green Chemistry and Biotechnology. Applicants with expertise in, but not limited to, green organic synthesis, polymer chemistry, bioprocessing and biotransformation of chemicals and monomers are particularly invited to apply. The successful candidate will plan, develop and conduct applied research projects dedicated to conversion and bioprocessing of biomass using bio-chemical catalysis and green chemistry pathways synthesis of new biobased monomers, polymers, and materials. As a rapidly growing research center, an ideal candidate for this role will be self-motivated, organized, and able to work in ambiguous and changeable situations. A minimum experience of 5 years after the completion of the PhD is required to be eligible for this position.
The successful candidate is expected to have:
- Lead all aspects related to Biotechnology and Green Chemistry within SUSMAT – RC.
- Transfer the knowledge and findings related to the bio-chemical conversion of biomass components to researchers at UM6P, external clients, and/or collaborators when required.
- Collaborate with SUSMAT – RC researchers through the identification and development of new concepts to be applied to sustainable materials and derivatives and their industrial applications thereof.
- Design and teach advanced courses related to biotechnology, and green chemistry for the benefit of Master and PhD students at UM6P,
- Assist in the delivery of engineering solutions to enable the rapid evolution of applied research through the various TRL levels to development and manufacturing (TRL 3-9).
- Work with members of SUSMAT – RC, other faculty members, companies, and different consortia to identify concepts to rapidly test and translate research innovations to products and/or processes for commercialization.
- Collaborate with other members of SUSMAT – RC in writing manuscripts for publication, filing patents, and developing research proposals to expand research programs consistent with the strategic vision of the center.
- Assist in the management and administration of the SUSMAT – RC. This activity may include several components, notably (a) collect, analyze, and summarize scientific literature relevant to a given project/technology, (b) develop specific sections in relevant areas of expertise for a given proposal, (c) coordinate the organization of proposal applications in specific area of expertise.
- Co-supervise research progress of graduate students and/or postdoctoral fellows. This activity entails regular discussion with group members to ensure they are making progress in their R&D investigations notably in the candidate’s area of expertise. Discuss with the director any challenges and roadblocks and ensure that the proposed solutions are implemented and followed upon.
- Work with universities, companies, and different consortia to lead groundbreaking R&D for next generation sustainable materials.
- Effectively communicate in English (verbally and in writing) to disseminate knowledge to group members, clients, and collaborators and/or to represent the SUSMAT – RC at conferences, meetings, and/or workshops.
- Proactively engage in collaborative R&D by providing solutions and demonstrating the potential of polymer science and engineering in addressing important Moroccan technology challenges.
To be considered for this role, you will ideally have:
- Ph.D. in Green Chemistry, Biotechnology or a closely related discipline.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 5 years of professional experience including post-doctoral with recognized expertise in biotechnology and green chemistry; and industrial experience would be a strong asset.
- Demonstrated skills in organic synthesis, functionalization and biotransformation of biobased chemicals and monomers, and/or spectroscopic and physico-chemical characterization.
- Good experience with (bio)polymer chemistry, and processing of (bio)polymers and (bio)composites.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively develop, lead and maintain research programs.
- Good teaching experience with the capacity to develop new courses and connect research to teaching (learning by doing) is desirable.
- Good experience in the supervision of students from the M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs.
- Good leadership and project management skills in driving the full project trajectory from conceptualization to implementation by applying managerial and scientific principles,
- Evidence of collaboration with peers at national and/or international institutions,
- Familiarity with the institutional and industrial ecosystem of Morocco,
- First-hands experience in entrepreneurship, in launching technology start-ups including essential elements such as prototyping/product visualization and early-stage venture funding would be a strong asset,
- First-hands experience in entrepreneurship or evidence of participation in entrepreneurial programs.
- Awareness of Moroccan/African market and product development opportunities.
- Be autonomous, detail-oriented, and possess strong organizational skills problem-solving attitudes.
- Strong initiative, self-motivated, and commitment to achieving quality outputs and excellence.
- Demonstrated bounding to diversity and professional integrity.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and be a good team player.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals, including university professors, industry executives, entrepreneurs, etc.
- Fluent in English and French, both spoken and written.
Application and Selection: The application folder must contain:
- Detailed CV,
- Cover letter along with a synthetic presentation of the background, research works, projects and activities, publications, key achievements,
- Research and teaching plans, entrepreneurial ideas and concepts if any, and services to UM6P community: max 3-4 pages,
- Contact information of 3 referees.
- Very competitive salary and benefits package.
- A unique set of research partners and collaborators.
- Access to a pool of highly motivated and rigorously selected Master and PhD students with financial support.
If you have any question, please contact the HR Faculty team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for SUSMAT-RC - Professor in Green Chemistry and Biotechnology
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly